I need to make something very clear:
I Love Cake!
I came across a brilliant recipe from Edd Kimber’s book “Say it with cake“. Read the full cake recipe below and enjoy recovering from your epic night out with some delicious cake. I’d recommend baking the cake the day before, and enjoy the cake with a nice cup of tea!
Serves: 8-10 people.
Active Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 55 min.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup superfine sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
Ingredients for the topping:
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- About 2 Tbsp dark rum
- 3 large bananas
Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease an 8-inch cake pan. To make the topping, put the butter in a small pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the sugar and cook until you have a smooth sauce. Take off the heat and add the rum. Taste the caramel, and if you want a stronger flavor, add a little more rum. Pour the caramel into the base of the prepared pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt together to combine, then set aside. Put the butter in a medium bowl and, using an electric mixer, beat until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla, a little at a time, beating until fully combined.
- Add half the flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Mix in the yogurt, then add the remainder of the flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Peel and slice the bananas into ½-inch thick slices and spread across the bottom of the prepared pan, then top with the cake batter in an even layer. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting and turning onto a wire rack. It is best served warm.
A Quick Note About Your Hangover Cure Cake
This makes a fairly thin cake, so if you want your cake a little taller, double the cake recipe and bake for 40–50 minutes.